Saturday, February 25, 2012

Moleskine Cahier within personal-sized Filofax Amazona; also some comments about Frixions and Caran D'Arche

I'm posting these two pictures as a response to Plannerisms question as to how to more easily incorporate journaling with her planner set-up.  She uses a pocket-sized Moleskin PO1D (tell me, is it more 'proper' to say "page on one day [PO1D]" or "one day per page [1DPP]"?  Really, tell me!), so this personal-sized Filofax is a different animal, but they can both benefit from the addition of a moleskine cahier.

With my set-up, I slip the front cover of a pocket-sized cahier into the diagonal slit pocket located inside the front cover of my Amazona.  It stays in place quite well.  It also fits completely inside the pocket, but when I kept it like that I didn't use it as often.  It's easy to just pull it out of the pocket, too, and take it with me into a coffee shop, leaving my Amazona in the car.  Sometimes it's hard to write when my planner - with all of its tasks - is too nearby.

I use one of those little magnetized, super-light-weight, bookmarks as a page locator. 



RE: writing implements...

That's a Frixion pen on the right, in pink.  LOVE Frixions.  They allow me to write in color on my planning pages without bleed through and without permanency.  In case you are not familiar with them, they are ERASABLE.  They use a special, hard, rounded tip at the top of the pen to erase marks with friction - thus the name.  I have found, though, that I have to store them eraser-side UP in my pen cups in order to avoid dirtying the erasers.  You CAN clean off the erasers, but if you don't realize that they are dirty and you go to use them - bleh.

On the left, I have a Caran D'Arche pencil.  LOVE IT.  It's the only mechanical pencil I've ever been fond of, and I've tried a LOT.  I've tried SO many sold at your standard big-box office supply store and was always frustrated with them, but I finally ponied up the cash ($20) and took the plunge on a state-of-the-art pencil.  And it actually works.  Very little breakage (that's typically been my big problem).  It also feels great in the hand (a faceted barrel) and slips easily into my FF pen loops because it is so slim.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ray, and thanks for all your innovation and hard work on the printable inserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Nancy! Great idea! Great to know that a pocket cahier slots into a Personal size Filo's pocket. I think the slot pockets in my Holborn would be perfect for this.

    Whatever I do, I think keeping my journal with me at all times is the only way I'll write in it. At home I'm too distracted by the computer and housework. I usually only write in my journal when I'm out somewhere, usually waiting to pick up my kids at school. Even though in an ideal world my journal would be a separate book at home, in reality I need to use what actually works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Laurie! I can totally relate about being too distracted by responsibilities (and internet fun!) to write. For awhile I would drop off my little one and then drive a short distance and park on a street with a pretty view and take out my notebook and write for about twenty minutes. I would then go about my errands, that much calmer.

      The smaller cahier size fits in a pocket FF, too (see my post in my blog about how I use/d my Urban, there's a pic). I think it will fit in your Mole planner. I would stick with your Mole and try out the cahier and see how you like the feel and size of it before you get any big ideas to switch over to your Holborn! Right now the Mole is working for you and seems to make you happy. Good luck!!!!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures make me think, "Amazona? Amazona. Amazona!"

    I love the journal slipped in the secretarial pocket. Most Filofax I've used lack that awesome feature. Looks great!

    Between you and Snarling Post I'll be goaded into getting one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurry up, Sandra, I hear they've been discontinued! I really love it. It has two pen loops that lay away from the tab, too. And I enjoy the chunky feel of it in my hands. I preferred the faux-croc texture on the personal size the best because it seemed more to scale than any of the others.

      Thanks for dropping by! Oh, and my pocket Urban also has the secretarial pocket. I really do enjoy those, so much each to get stuff in and out as well as being able to hold cahiers.

      Thanks for teaching me the name of that particular pocket style, too. :-)

      [Deleted comment below so I could put it in its proper place as a reply to Sandra! Silly me.]

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all! A tinny notebook inside an Amazona with a Caran D'ache? oh my! I need it. hehe Seriously, just tried to squeeze in a tiny Moleskine I have into my pocket Finsbury and didn't slide in. BUT sits perfectly in the back of the card holder and it will be there so I can try it out for the next couple of weeks. The Caran D'ache will have to wait thou :)
    I really love your idea! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lime Tree - I, TOO, have a pocket Finsbury, in Raspberry! So far, it is unpurposed, but lies sleeping in her box, one day to be awakened by my kiss when I know her raison d'etre.

    You can always shove a pocket-sized cahier in the billfold. I did that with my pocket Urban from time to time. It sticks out just a little and makes it that much easier to remember it's there and to pull it out. I don't like the billfolds for bills, they are too deep and make it awkward to get at the money. It would be divine if there was an additional nylon pocket running the length of the billfold that held the money higher, closer to the opening (does that make sense?).

    Happy writing!! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Nancy - re your query, I always use DPP (day-per-page) as a standard abbreviation.....hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you noticed my plea! Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  8. Hi Nancy

    Re Frixion pens, beware....sometimes writing can self-erase (it's something to do with temperature, I believe). I started using them for my diary (I do a lot of alterations to meetings etc), but I'm more wary of using them now, preferring to use a pencil with an eraser on the top (old-fashioned but still works best like so many other things in this technologically-obsessed world!) However, i do wish personal FF's would come with decent sized 9and a decent number of) pen loops.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is the second time I've heard about this this week (maybe you posted on the philofaxy blog?!). Definitely something to keep in mind.

      I agree with your comments on pen loop design.

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete